OK, so maybe not heroic. But my attempts at getting MPI running are much like an uphill battle.
I managed only partly, so far, so here are some notes:
- I used passwordless-hostbased-ssh logins between the nodes
- I used Torque as the batch system
- I used the RHEL4 provided openmpi (that does not include the tm module, hence the ssh stuff)
- It worked with torque and mpirun
- ... but not with mpi-start.
- It does not yet work with CREAM, als all the processes are run on the same node.
One thing that I had forgotten was to set the MPI_*_PATH variables that mpi-start needs. It had a fallback to /opt/i2g/openmpi and that did not distribute the work according to plan.
- http://egee-uig.web.cern.ch/egee-uig/production_pages/MPIJobs.html Official EGEE user documentation on using MPI.