Below is a list of tools that can be useful to work remotely.
Access to internal services
- Use eduVPN (institute access) to securely connect to Nikhef's internal network. See eduVPN
- There are instructions to install eduVPN on your computer at home or laptop
- Use a remote desktop connection to connect to your Windows 10 desktop. See Remote Desktop on Windows 10
- Windows (and Mac) users can use CIFS to connect their network drives (home folder, project disks) over eduVPN. A walk-through guide for Windows 10 is available.
- SURFdrive can be used to share your documents between your devices (laptop, desktop, phone), but also with others. See SURFdrive
Audio / Video conferencing tools
- Video conferencing
- Zoom video conferencing
- Nikhef participates in a SURF pilot project for video calls. SURF videobellen is suitable for smaller groups. Instructions:
- Known problems and downtimes for the ICT services are announced via an external status page: https://nikhef.status.io/. It is possible to subscribe for email notifications. Tip: when possible, register a non-Nikhef email address so that you can receive notifications if for some reason mail or network services don't function properly.
SECURITY WARNING: PHISHING
It is expected that hackers will try to exploit the current situation where many people will work remotely. Hackers will probably launch more phishing attacks.
- It is not needed to register your account to work remotely. Nikhef (CT) will not send links to "activate" remote working.
- Do not respond to any mails you may get with links.
- You should only enter your Nikhef credentials at the SSO server
- Are you in doubt about an email or did you already enter your credentials at a suspicious site? Contact the Helpdesk (email@example.com) as soon as possible.
Anti-Virus Software for Home Users
When you use your personal computer to connect to Nikhef ICT services, your computer becomes part of the network. Attackers may try to use this connection to get access to Nikhef's services. It is therefore very important that you take measures to ensure that your personal computer remains secure.
If you do not have any anti-virus and/or malware protection software on your personal computer, please install it for added protection against malicious software in these days. We have anti-virus software available that home users can install. If you follow the instructions on how to connect to network drives for Windows, you can find that software under \\beuk.nikhef.nl\wproject\UserSoftware\Symantec_AntiVirus.
If you already have appropriate software from your ISP or pre-installed on your computer, do not install this additional software to avoid conflicts.