Below is a list of tools that can be useful to work remotely.
Access to internal services
- Use eduVPN (institute access) to securely connect to Nikhef's internal network. See eduVPN
- There are instructions to install eduVPN on your computer at home or laptop
- Use a remote desktop connection to connect to your Windows 10 desktop. See Remote Desktop on Windows 10
- Windows (and Mac) users can use CIFS to connect their network drives (home folder, project disks) over eduVPN. A walk-through guide for Windows 10 is available.
- SURFdrive can be used to share your documents between your devices (laptop, desktop, phone), but also with others. See SURFdrive
Audio / Video conferencing tools
- Video conferencing
- Zoom video conferencing
- Nikhef participates in a SURF pilot project for video calls. SURF videobellen is suitable for smaller groups. Instructions:
- Known problems and downtimes for the ICT services are announced via an external status page: https://nikhef.status.io/. It is possible to subscribe for email notifications. Tip: when possible, register a non-Nikhef email address so that you can receive notifications if for some reason mail or network services don't function properly.
SECURITY WARNING: PHISHING
It is expected that hackers will try to exploit the current situation where many people will work remotely. Hackers will probably launch more phishing attacks.
- It is not needed to register your account to work remotely. Nikhef (CT) will not send links to "activate" remote working.
- Do not respond to any mails you may get with links.
- You should only enter your Nikhef credentials at the SSO server
- Are you in doubt about an email or did you already enter your credentials at a suspicious site? Contact the Helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.
Anti-Virus Software for Home Users
If you do not have any anti-virus and/or malware protection software on your personal computer, please install it for added protection against malicious software in these days. We have anti-virus software available that home users can install. If you follow the instructions on how to connect to network drives for Windows, you can find that software under \\beuk.nikhef.nl\wproject\UserSoftware\Symantec_AntiVirus.
If you already have appropriate software from your ISP or pre-installed on your computer, do not install this additional software to avoid conflicts.