VPN on laptop or home pc
From CT Wiki
Revision as of 15:22, 26 March 2020 by Mkerssen@nikhef.nl
EduVPN for laptop or pc (home situation)
Go to https://www.surf.nl/en/eduvpn/get-started-with-eduvpn Choose one of the options for your platform
For example Windows:
- Save file
- Go to the location where the install file is saved (downloads)
- Click on the file 2 times
- Installeren (install)
- Do you allow this app to make changes..... Yes
- Herstarten (reboot)
- Sluiten (close)
Using the EduVPN app
- Open the app EduVPN
- Connect to your Institution
- Choose Nikhef
- Use your credentials from Nikhef (SSO)and click Log in
- Ja, ik ga akkoord (Yes, I approve)
- Approve application
- Click Nikhef and choose Institute Access
Using the Remote Desktop Application
- Open the app RDP (remote desktop)
- Enter your <pcname>.ad.nikhef.nl and email@example.com
- Save the file on the desktop (save as and choose desktop + save)
- Open the remote app on your desktop
- Enter your password
- Enter Yes
macOS installation and instructions
To install EduVPN on your Mac follow the steps below. The instructions are written using macOS 10.15.4 (Catalina).
|Visit the EduVPN website to download the software: https://www.eduvpn.org/apps.html.|
|You will then be directed to the App Store on your Mac to download the EduVPN client. Do this and wait for the software to be installed on your Mac.|
| Start the EduVPN application. You can use the EduVPN application to surf the internet safely, for example when you are connected to a public WiFi.
However, in this example we want to connect to our computer at Nikhef so we choose the bottom option:
"Access your institute's network from outside the institution".
|In the provider list you need to select the institute to connect to. Search for 'Nikhef' in the list and click on it.|
| Your browser will open and you will be asked to grant authorization for the EduVPN application.
Click 'Approve application' to continue.
|Back in the EduVPN application, click on 'Nikhef' and choose 'Connect' to start the connection with the institute.|
| macOS will ask if you allow a change to the system's VPN configuration.
To continue click on 'allow' here.
| This Is the status pagina. The status icon will be colored orange for a short time and then turn green.
You are connected!