Laptop backup service
For Nikhef employees we have made available an easy to use laptop backup service called Insync. This backup service can be used inside and outside Nikhef. It is strongly recommended that you create a dedicated folder on your laptop where you store all your work related files and that you only backup this work folder on the Nikhef Insync server. Be aware of the fact that the backup capacity on the server is limited to 100GB per employee. One of the great features of Insync is that the backup runs automatically in the background whenever the laptop is active. Additionally to the on-line Insync backup it is recommended to make weekly or monthly incremental backups of all files stored in your laptop on a direct attached device like an USB disk.
Details on how to use Insync.
- To use this service you must be a nikhef employee.
- You can request a backup account by mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or using the selfservicedesk
- Every user can use up to 100GB of storage space.
- You dont need to backup files from your home folder or project folders. These already have a backup in place.
- The backup server is located at Nikhef.
- The backup server is owned and maintained by Nikhef.
- You can backup your data from almost any network connected to the internet.
- Insync performs an incremental backup. It will only send the changes since your last backup to the server.
- Insync keeps multiple versions of your active and deleted files.
- After closing the client Insync will continue to run in the backgroud and backup your changes.
- Clients are available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
Installation Insync client software.
Download the client software for your Operating System
Install the client software following the instructions.
After the installation, select "On Premise" from the drop down menu. You need to fill in the following:
- Server Url: "insync.nikhef.nl"
- Email: "Your nikhef email address, please use the address to which the helpdesk send a conformation of your insync account."
- Password: "Your Nikhef password"
If you have any questions please contact the helpdesk on 2200 or email@example.com