Laptop backup service
For Nikhef employees we have made available an easy to use laptop backup service called Crashplan. This backup service can be used inside and outside Nikhef. It is strongly recommended that you create a dedicated folder on your laptop where you store all your work related files and that you only backup this work folder on the Nikhef Crashplan server. Be aware of the fact that the backup capacity on the server is limited to 20GB for one laptop per employee. One of the great features of Crashplan is that the backup runs automatically in the background whenever the laptop is active. Additionally to the on-line Crashplan backup it is recommended to make weekly or monthly incremental backups of all files stored in your laptop on a direct attached device like an USB disk.
Details on how to use Crashplan.
- To use this service you must be a nikhef employee.
- You can request a backup account by mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or using the selfservicedesk
- Every user can use up to 20GB of storage space. (Crashplan compresses your files so you can backup more than 20GB of data).
- You can use the software on one pc or laptop only.
- You dont need to backup files from your home folder or project folders. These already have a backup in place.
- Your data is encrypted on your laptop. It is sent and stored encrypted on the server.
- The backup server is located at Nikhef.
- The backup server is owned and maintained by Nikhef.
- You can backup your data from almost any network connected to the internet.
- Crashplan performs an incremental backup. It will only send the changes since your last backup to the server.
- Crashplan keeps multiple versions of your active and deleted files. (You can tweak these settings in the client)
- After closing the client Crashplan will continue to run in the backgroud and backup your changes.
- Clients are available for Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), Mac OS-X and Linux.
Installation Crashplan client software.
- Minimal requirements: 2.6 Series Kernel / 1GB Memory / 1GHZ+ CPU / 250MB Drive Space / 800x600 display / Oracle (Sun) Java version 1.6+
- Download Linux client.
- Mount the disk image, run the installer and follow the instructions.
- Minimal requirements: MacOS-X 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 Java installed / 1GB Memory / G4, G5, or Intel CPU / 250MB Drive Space / 800x600 display
- Download MacOS-X client.
- Extract the archive, run install.sh and follow the instructions.
After the installation is complete you have the options to create a new account or use and existing account. Choose existing account and enter your account details.
If you have any problems with configuring this service please contact the helpdesk (email@example.com or selfservicedesk).
Crashplan Client user interface reference:
These are external links and also contain information about other versions of crashplan. Some of the options described may not be available in our version and some screens may look slightly different.