Windows 7 EOS
On Januari 14 2020 Microsoft will end support for Windows 7. Windows 7 support will end. Because of security risks, use of Windows 7 at Nikhef will not be possible after this date so please read this article carefully.
This will have the following consequences at Nikhef:
- All managed desktops will have Windows 10 installed before this date. The helpdesk will try to contact all users affected by this. However there may be desktops for which we do not know who is responsible. If you use a windows 7 manged desktop and the helpdesk has not contacted you please contact the helpdesk as soon as possible before December 1st.
- From Januari 14 we will actively block Windows 7 from our network. This means that self managed Windows 7 laptops and desktops will no longer be able to access the network at Nikhef.
Nikhef employees and users should take the following steps:
- If you have a CT managed desktop with Windows 7 and the helpdesk has not contacted you, please contact the helpdesk.
- For Nikhef owned self managed laptops and desktops, you can get installation media from the helpdesk and they can enter the license for you.
- If you have any privately owned computers or laptops with Windows 7, you should upgrade to windows 10 as soon as possible. Nikhef employees can get a windows 10 license with a large discount via surfspot with their Nikhef account.
- If you have a machine that cannot run windows 10 for any reason please contact the helpdesk. We will try to find a solution on a individual basis.