Introduction and notes
You can connect to a Nikhef windows computer from a remote location. This pages gives instructions on how to set this up.
- You must be added to the group: Remote Desktop Users on the computer you wish to connect to, an administrator can turn this on for you, contact the Nikhef Helpdesk about this.
- The computer you wish to connect to must be turned on.
- The first time you connect remotely to a computer from a remote location you may be prompted to accept an certificate.
Connecting to a Nikhef computer from a computer with the windows OS is established by the application: Remote Desktop Connection.
- Launch the Remote Desktop Connection application by going to Start->Programs->Accessories->Remote Desktop Connection
- Click Show options
- Click Advanced
- Select Settings in the Connect from Anywhere Area
- Select Use these RD Gateway server settings in connection settings
- Enter the following server name for RD Gateway Server settings: desktop.ad.nikhef.nl
- Make sure the checkbox for: Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses is checked
- Make sure the checkbox for: Use my RD Gateway credentials for the remote computer is checked and click Ok
- On the General tab enter the Computer name you want to connect to
- desktop.ad.nikhef.nl if you wish to connect with the Remote Desktop Server.
- <computername>.ad.nikhef.nl if you wish to make a connection with your own computer
- Press connect
- When prompted, enter your Nikhef Credentials: <username>@nikhef.nl and your Nikhef password
Mac OS X
Connecting to a Nikhef Windows computer from a computer with Mac OS X is established by the application: Microsoft Remote Desktop
The Steps of setting it up:
- Download and install the application: Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store (Check Mac Os version compatibility, Developer=Microsoft)
- Start up Microsoft Remote Desktop
- Select New to setup a new remote desktop connection
- Enter a meaningful connection name so you know which pc you are connecting to.
- for PC name enter your <computername>.nikhef.nl (dont forget any dots!)
- Select add gateway by using the arrow on the right at the gateway line to set this up.
- Select + to add a new gateway configuration.
- Give it a meaningful gateway name
- for Server, use: desktop.ad.nikhef.nl
- Enter your nikhef credentials in the credential field with username format: <username>@nikhef.nl press the red cross on left top to save and exit the setup.
- Enter your Nikhef credentials to log into your computer in the main setup part as well <username>@nikhef.nl format press the red cross on left top to save and exit the setup.
- use desktop.ad.nikhef.nl to connect to the remote desktop server.
- to make a connection with your own desktop use <computername>.ad.nikhef.nl
- Your connection is now ready for use. Select Start to start the remote desktop Connection.
You will be prompted to accept certificate from your computer every time you try to connect. You can accept it automatically by expanding the message and check the box to automatically accept it.
LinuxThe latest versions of XfreeRDP can connect to the gateway service, but only using preauthentication on the command line.
- To connect to your own windows desktop, use: xfreerdp /g:desktop.ad.nikhef.nl /v:<hostname>.nikhef.nl /u:NIKHEF\\<username> /p:<password>
- To connect to the remote desktop server, use: xfreerdp /g:desktop.ad.nikhef.nl /v:desktop.ad.nikhef.nl /u:NIKHEF\\<username> /p:<password>