Nikhef print system
The Nikhef print system consists of Xerox multifunctional printers and the Follow-you software Safeq from Ysoft.
Two types of printers are available:
- 6 x Xerox AltaLink 8035
- 2 x Xerox AltaLink 8055
All printers are able to print, copy and scan documents in A3 and A4 format, single and double sided. Scans will be done in color by default. The printers are located at all floors in the Nikhef H and N buildings. Three printers are installed at the reception desk, the secretariat and the personal department. These printers are part of the print system, but have limited access.
You need a valid access key (druppel) and a valid Nikhef computer account for copying, scanning and follow-you printing.
Note: Before you are able to use your access key, you have to activate it once for the print system. Put your access key on the reader sticker on the front left side of the printer. Enter your Nikhef user name and password. Request the CT Helpdesk to assist you in case you do not know how to do this.
Printing at Nikhef uses a "Follow You" system.
All users with a valid Nikhef computer account and a valid Nikhef access key (druppel) can use follow you.
The follow-you system allows you to go to one of the eight printers in the building and to activate your print job with your access key.
When you are done with printing, use your access key to end the session.
You can submit your print job to the following follow-you queues:
- color (for color prints)
- bw (for non-color prints)
Be aware of the following:
- First time printing with follow-you, requires registration of your access key so it is linked to your Nikhef account.
- you will have to type your Nikhef username and password once
- the printer is impatient and may not give you enough time to type a 32-random-character password!
- A print job send to a follow-you queue stays there for 7 days after which it will be automatically deleted from queue.
Guest Printing and Printing via email
It is possible to send print jobs to the printers via email. If you send email with attachement to email@example.com the attachement will be send to your print queu and you can print it with the follow you system.
Please note that you need to use your Nikhef email address to send the email.
This system is able to print most common file formats like pdf, jpg, png, doc etc.
This system can also be used by guests to print at Nikhef. The guest can register their email and collect a temporary access card at the Nikhef helpdesk.
Printer bw color h0 x x h1 x x h2 x x h3 x x n0 x x n1 x x n2 x x n3 x x
Copying and scanning
You need a valid and registered access key to be able to scan or copy documents on one of available multifunctional printers in the Nikhef building. By default scanned documents will be mailed to your Nikhef account.
However, for larger documents there is also the option to have them placed in a special retrieval folder. More information can be found here
Add a printer to your system
- Startmenu > Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners > Add printer
- Click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"
- Select a shared printer by name and fill in the following printers (one at the time!)
- Enter username and password and press OK
- Select the Microsoft PCL6 Class driver or the Xerox Global Print Driver PCL6 driver (download)
- To use Xerox Features (like staples etc.) use the Global Xerox Driver
- Download and unpack the zipfile UNIV_5.810.8.0_PCL6_x64.zip
- Select have a disk and enter the path where you have extracted the new drivers: (for example: C:\Users\%username%\Downloads\UNIV_5.810.8.0_PCL6_x64\UNIV_5.810.8.0_PCL6_x64_Driver.inf)
- Enable Xerox Features:
- Startmenu > Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners > printer > Manage > Printer properties
- Select the Administration tab
- Select the Configuration: "Xerox WorkCentre Black and White" or "Xerox WorkCentre Color"
- Click on OK
- Open the Printer properties again
- Select the configuration tab
- Select the Installable Options / Finisher: "Office Finisher"
- Click on OK
Mac OS X (IOS)
You can use Airprint to print to the Nikhef printers. The printer is called Nikhef Airprint and is available on the wireless networks (Nikhef and Eduroam) as well as the wired guestnet. When using for the first time you need to enter your nikhef username and password. Your print jobs should then be available at all printers.
If you want to use all the settings(staples etc.) for the printer please install as follows (Note: This works up to and including macOS Mojave, if you use macOS Catalina the steps are slightly different.):
- For Color download the following ppd file: https://www.nikhef.nl/nikhef/departments/ct/printer/xrxC8055.color.ppd
- For BW download the following ppd file: https://www.nikhef.nl/nikhef/departments/ct/printer/xrxC8055.bw.ppd
- macOS Catalina users: download the Xerox Printer Driver from here and install: 
- Open Printing and scanning in your System Preferences
- Select + to add a printer
- Select the IP tab
- Select the LPD protocol and enter "your_user_name"@lpd.nikhef.nl in the address field
- Enter the name of the printer you want to add in the Queue field and in the Name field
- use printer name 'bw' for black-and-white printer
- use 'color' for color printer
- For driver select other and choose and select the ppd file you downloaded earlier
- macOS Catalina users: choose 'Select software' and search for C8055 in the list
- Select OK to finish the printer installation (do not change the settings of the printer)
These instructions are based on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
- Open Settings > Printers - Additional Printer Settings > Add > Enter URL
- Choose a printer and fill in the following printer URLs (one at the time!)
- Select 'Provide a PPD File' and use this file for bw: https://www.nikhef.nl/nikhef/departments/ct/printer/xrxC8055.bw.ppd or https://www.nikhef.nl/nikhef/departments/ct/printer/xrxC8055.color.ppd for color
- Change the name of the printer to bw or color depending on which you are adding.
- You can now use the printer. The first time you print you will be asked to authenticate. Use your nikhef username and password for this.