This article describes the kind of support the CT department can offer for laptops, but also which laptop-related matters are outside the support. There is no distinction in the support between the various brands of laptops. In particular Apple laptops are supported the same way as e.g. Dell laptops.
The same support also applies to desktops that are maintained by the user.
General guidelines for laptops and user-maintained systems:
- Nikhef directly pays for the laptop and remains the owner.
- The administration/maintenance of the laptop is the responsibility of the user.
- The user has the freedom to install any legal software that is needed. The use of illegal software is strictly forbidden and any consequences, legal or financial, from using it are completely for the account of the user.
- By using a computer provided by Nikhef, the user agrees to the Acceptable Use Policy
Supported by the CT
- Purchasing of hardware: the CT can advise on the selection and configuration of the laptop and place orders.
- The Helpdesk can handle the repairs of defect laptops from selected suppliers (comprising at least Dell and Apple).
- Assistance connecting the laptop to the guest network, either via cable or WiFi.
- Help installing software for which Nikhef holds a site license, such as Microsoft Office.
- Providing a temporary laptop when a defect laptop is being repaired. There is also one Mac laptop available for this purpose.
- Best effort support when connecting to resources like printers.
- Providing miscellaneous small cables and adapters via the Helpdesk.
- Per request a fixed hostname/IP address can be assigned to a computer in the guest network.
- Laptop backup via CrashPlan
- Providing external USB disks for backups (e.g. via TimeMachine).
Not supported by the CT
- System maintenance. There can be only one captain on a ship. The users have administrative privileges on the laptops and can install any legal software and make any configuration. The CT cannot and will not take responsibility for the proper functioning of the system.
- In general, all kind of support questions are handled on a best-effort basis. We will try to resolve the problem, but we cannot guarantee success.
- Connecting the laptop to network storage (network file systems like /user, /project, /data etc). By design, the network layout does not permit such connections.
If you have questions, please contact the Helpdesk!